Consider this example:
- Treat G as 10.
- The blue blocks provide lift of 10N, or -1KG.
- The red block has a weight of 20N, or 2KG.
- The black bar has no weight.
- All have their center of gravity in their center.
- All three have infinite strength.
- We ignore air resistance.
- We assume all the pieces are joined.
In the first example, all three are centered, and in line with each other.
In the second, the red block is centered between the blue blocks.
My question is which would be the most stable, i.e. less likely to roll into its more natural state with the lift above the weight, where the center of gravity in the red block to shift to one side. Which would allow the most shift before flipping?
The second one? By how much?
My initial thoughts were about center of gravity, but i'm not sure this even applies anymore, is it more about torque from the systems weight and lift once it has passed the last stable point?