Physics Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for active researchers, academics and students of physics. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

I watched "Apollo 13" yesterday, and they had the "angle-of-attack" problem that had to be manually solved, to prevent the ship from "ricochet[ing] off the atmosphere like a rock skipping off a pond".

I found and read this, but couldn't manage the term to further learn about this "ricochet".

Is there a term that reflects this "ricochet"?

share|cite|improve this question

The term related to the quote you have stated, that has come up in a number of documents is skip reentry, some examples of its use and context are from:

FAA article on vehicle reentry, where they make the analogy of skipping stones. But, it is from the Aerospace Web article Atmosphere & Spacecraft Re-entry, where they state

A more unusual re-entry option that merges features of both ballistic and gliding profiles is the skip entry trajectory.

Another article, from NASA about the Apollo and Soyuz missions Reentry Vehicles: Spheres vs. Blunt Bodies also use the term in the caption for the diagram (below):

enter image description here

A 1963 sketch illustrating a possible skip reentry trajectory of the Apollo spacecraft.

share|cite|improve this answer
It's also possible that the skip is not followed by a reentry. But a very long, lonely flight somewhere else. Assuming the speed is high enough and the angle shallow enough that is. – tpg2114 Dec 25 '13 at 5:22
Yes, a complete 'bounce',the FAA article has some information and calculations for that. – user29350 Dec 25 '13 at 5:23

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.