Physics Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for active researchers, academics and students of physics. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

There is a large metal container in form of a cube made of stainless steel. It is used for storing water in it for technical uses. The problem is that all joints at the bottom of the container have micro cavities and water leaks through them very slowly. I am thinking of a method to close these micro cavities from inside. And the most reasonable method I can think of is to make them cover by a layer of limescale, as any electrical teapot or heater does. The only problem is that this is a big container, and it isn't easy to heat that amount of water, or to boil it.

So does anybody know any other way to cover the bottom or just micro cavities in the joints by limescale without heating during long time? Maybe some use of electrolysis?

share|cite|improve this question

Use a solution of a suitable polymer. As the solution leaks it will dry in the outside air, solidify and block the holes. You might try Radweld.

share|cite|improve this answer
That may be a good idea, but I am looking for something that can be made by yourself. – BartoNaz Dec 10 '12 at 12:25
You'll need to clarify what you mean by "something that can be made by yourself". Assuming you're anywhere near civilisation you can nip down the road and buy Radweld. If you're stuck in the wilderness tap some latex from a rubber tree and use that. – John Rennie Dec 10 '12 at 17:53
I live in Ukraine and I'm sure that there is no Radweld for sell in Ukraine. And I don't know about other sealants that are liquid but solidify after contact with the air. So I am asking about some physical or chemical process that can create the needed effect. – BartoNaz Dec 10 '12 at 19:12
Every country that uses cars has someone selling car radiator sealant - Radweld is just the brand name in the UK and you'll have similar products sold under different names. You could always try asking your local mechanic what they use to seal car radiators. If you really can't find any you could try latex wood glue (the white glue) diluted into the water. – John Rennie Dec 11 '12 at 6:48

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.