Physics Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for active researchers, academics and students of physics. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

I am trying to find out what formula to use for the above issue. If I do a gravity measurement above a volcanic chamber, what do I have to do? I thought about adding the Bouger corrections, as it is a mountain I am measuring on, but I do not know the density of the mountain, only for the bedrock around the crater. How do I do this, then? I found something about "buried bodies", but I do not know if you can name a chamber (="hole") a buried body. Can someone help out?

share|cite|improve this question

As I recall you calculate the (repulsive) force from a body of negative matter the same size as the hole, then you add that to the Earth's gravity with no hole. The result is to reduce the Earth's gravity slightly.

share|cite|improve this answer

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.