Physics Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for active researchers, academics and students of physics. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

Wiki tells us that In practice most actual experiments have used light, assumed to be emitted in the form of particle-like photons (produced by atomic cascade or spontaneous parametric down conversion), rather than the atoms that Bell originally had in mind. The property of interest is, in the best known experiments, the polarisation direction

What device can actually be used for that source which creates a photon pair with entangled polarisations?

share|cite|improve this question
Hi Juris - I've merged your accounts on this site, but I can't merge in your accounts on other sites. What you will need to do is create a registered account on Mathematics and on Cross Validated, associate that account with your account here, and ask the moderators on those respective sites to merge your unregistered accounts there into the registered one. You could also email to ask if they would help you with this, but it's possible they may just tell you the same thing. (Also feel free to ask in Physics Chat if you need help.) – David Z Oct 3 '12 at 17:46
TO expand on @DavidZ's comments, each Stack Exchange site has it's own accounts, but there is a mechanism called "association" which is used to indicate that accounts on different site belong to the same real world person. The Physics.SE moderators have no power over your accounts on other sites. – dmckee Oct 4 '12 at 13:57
up vote 2 down vote accepted

The process used in this kind of source is the spontaneous parametric down conversion (SPDC, see, e.g. Wikipedia for details). It is a nonlinear optical process in which from a photon with angular frequency $\omega_0$ you get two photons with frequencies $\omega_1$, $\omega_2 = \omega_0-\omega_1$. These photons are then phase matched and have correlated polarization (either the same or opposite, we speak of type I SPDC and type II SPDC, respectively).

share|cite|improve this answer
Thanks! That SPDC name seems a lot more complicated than the actual process. Is it correct if I say that the method is to direct light through a nonlinear crystal and some part of it is split into photon pairs? Must the light source be laser? – Juris Oct 3 '12 at 22:05
You got the idea right. Lasers are used as light source, because for nonlinear optical processes large intensities are required. And lasers are the only source that can achieve that. – Ondřej Černotík Oct 4 '12 at 7:04

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.