Physics Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for active researchers, academics and students of physics. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

Let's suppose I have a theory described by a Lagrangian as follows:

$ \mathcal{L} = A_\mu \underbrace{\left( \partial^2 g^{\mu\nu} - \partial^\mu \partial^\nu + m^2 g^{\mu \nu} \right)}_{K^{\mu \nu}} A_\nu $

(What's the actual theory does not matter.) I know that the inverse of $K^{\mu \nu}$ is called the propagator, I don't know how to call $K^{\mu \nu}$ itself. I would like to avoid something like ''operator'' because I often switch to the path integral formalism...

share|cite|improve this question

I) In a free field theory

$$S[\phi]~=~ \frac{1}{2} \iint \! d^dx~ d^dy ~\phi^{\alpha}(x) K_{\alpha\beta}(x,y) \phi^{\beta}(y),$$

I would call the integral kernel

$$ K_{\alpha\beta}(x,y)~=~\frac{\delta^2 S}{\delta\phi^{\alpha}(x)\delta\phi^{\beta}(y)} $$

either the inverse propagator or the Hessian. (Here we assume that $\phi^{\alpha}$ is bosonic (Grassmann-even) in order not to clutter the formulas with sign factors. In case of gauge symmetry, the action should be gauge-fixed to remove zero-modes.)

II) In an interacting theory, the free propagator is by definition associated with the free part of the action, i.e. the part which is quadratic in the field variables $\phi$.

share|cite|improve this answer

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.