Physics Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for active researchers, academics and students of physics. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

I've asked about microscales before, and thinking more about the problem turned up more basic questions. Consider the length scale of a microscale: $$ \eta = \left(\frac{\nu^3}{\epsilon}\right)^\frac{1}{4}$$ With $\nu$ being the viscosity, and $\epsilon$ the energy dissipation. I understand this to mean the energy transfer from turbulent kinetic flow to thermal energy (at this scale). The unit of $\epsilon$ is Watts. What's the reference volume?

share|cite|improve this question
up vote 1 down vote accepted

The unit of $\epsilon$ is not Watts, it's Watts per kilogram. That is it is a dissipation in the unit of mass, to get dissipation density (per volume), do $\rho \epsilon$.

For who might be interested [W / kg] is actually [m^2 / s^3], and the units of the dynamic viscosity $\nu$ are squared meters per second [m^2 / s]

Indeed it is quite standard to use units per mass in hydrodynamics, not per volume, because for mass we have mass conservation law, which come in hand when rearranging the equations.

share|cite|improve this answer
thx. After posting this question I did some dimensional lanalysis and saw that it actually had to be W/kg – mart Aug 24 '12 at 9:46

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.