Take the 2-minute tour ×
Physics Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for active researchers, academics and students of physics. It's 100% free, no registration required.

Since i was a child i was told that current has pushing or pulling effect. However, i never got a dc shock and i don't remember ac shock (i got it very long before). The day before yesterday, an experienced electrician told me that dc has pulling effect ( most of the batteries supply only 12V it's not so much to worry but if supplied with very high voltage it is very deadly comparison to ac and) and ac has pushing effect. Logically i can't find any explanations. electricity is just flow of charge, and in our body, we have more electrons than protons (from C-14 decay) but still very less than enough to give shock or pushing or pulling effect.

share|improve this question
1  
I have no idea what the difference is between "pushing" and "pulling" in this context. Voting to close. –  Mark Eichenlaub Jan 19 '11 at 5:48
1  
it's just what people say when they get shock (here in my country where people don't know much about science all those suff). it's not one people, it's lots of people (so i had to consider some logical reason behind it) and i don't find any scientific reason why do people say so? –  Santosh Linkha Jan 19 '11 at 5:53
    
Okay. I see how people could be confused by this. Maybe I can write a proper answer later (or someone else will). –  Mark Eichenlaub Jan 19 '11 at 6:35
add comment

closed as not a real question by Mark Eichenlaub, Colin K, David Z Jan 19 '11 at 6:52

It's difficult to tell what is being asked here. This question is ambiguous, vague, incomplete, overly broad, or rhetorical and cannot be reasonably answered in its current form. For help clarifying this question so that it can be reopened, visit the help center.If this question can be reworded to fit the rules in the help center, please edit the question.

1 Answer

up vote 2 down vote accepted

I suppose by "pushing" and "pulling" is meant to describe what happens with accidental electric shock. What happens when one touches a live wire the body provides a conduit to ground and a current is set up. This article in Wikipedia explains the physiology:

DC tends to cause continuous muscular contractions that make the victim hold on to a live conductor, thereby increasing the risk of deep tissue burns.

So there is a reason for the rumor.

share|improve this answer
add comment

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.