Physics Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for active researchers, academics and students of physics. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

I want to experiment with an enclosure for my phone so the frequency response has a little more punch at the bottom end. I understand that something can't be created from nothing, but enclosures work for drivers so I can't see why not for the phone?

What sort of cabinet design would do the job? It would be nice if it preserved a natural mid and treble as well. Even if this design just dampens medium and high frequencies that would be fine too. The response without any enclosure seems to have started to tail off at about 260Hz and is almost gone by 130Hz. I can just about hear 60Hz if I put the volume on full and my ear against the speaker. (Don't try this on your hifi at home kids)


share|cite|improve this question

closed as off topic by Qmechanic, Manishearth, Waffle's Crazy Peanut, Sklivvz Dec 28 '12 at 12:41

Questions on Physics Stack Exchange are expected to relate to physics within the scope defined by the community. Consider editing the question or leaving comments for improvement if you believe the question can be reworded to fit within the scope. Read more about reopening questions here.If this question can be reworded to fit the rules in the help center, please edit the question.

Hmm, this is more of an engineering question, and thus off topic. Please read the faq before posting a question here :) – Manishearth Dec 28 '12 at 12:41
up vote 1 down vote accepted

so the frequency response has a little more punch at the bottom end

I think this one should do. Of course, you'll only need one.

enter image description here

share|cite|improve this answer
Was hoping for a speaker cabinet, not a fireplace – Jodes Jul 6 '12 at 17:48

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.