Physics Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for active researchers, academics and students of physics. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

According to, the reporter says that higgs boson things are little over GCSE physics. So, English learn a lot about physics in high school? Quantum mechanics is usually learned in university-level courses, right?

By the way, wow. A new particle that looks like Higgs boson.

share|cite|improve this question

closed as not a real question by Qmechanic, Manishearth, David Z Jul 4 '12 at 21:42

It's difficult to tell what is being asked here. This question is ambiguous, vague, incomplete, overly broad, or rhetorical and cannot be reasonably answered in its current form. For help clarifying this question so that it can be reopened, visit the help center.If this question can be reworded to fit the rules in the help center, please edit the question.

It seems like this may be a question more about the English educational system than about physics... is that the case, Higgs Hooray? – David Z Jul 4 '12 at 9:17
up vote 0 down vote accepted

The science behind Higgs is much more advanced for even undergraduate physics. Most of the physics undergrads dont have enough knowledge to understand this properly. You need to have lot of knowledge in the areas of quantum mechanics, quantum field theory, particle physics usually done at the grad level. Obviously the reporter has been much mistaken. From personal experience I think the UK lags behind in science education. I have had the opportunity to study in UK, India and US, and I am sorry to say the high school education system in UK is the least advanced of the three.

share|cite|improve this answer

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.