Physics Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for active researchers, academics and students of physics. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

enter image description here

I have seen in that there is a formula for the contact angle with a solid wall of a liquid-gas interface. The formula is

$$ \cos \theta=\frac{ \sigma_{liquid-solid}-\sigma_{gas-solid}}{\sigma_{gas-liquid}}$$ where $\sigma_{AB}$ are the surface tensions between $A$ and $B$.

Does this formula work also in the case where instead of gas we have another liquid?

share|cite|improve this question
up vote 2 down vote accepted

The formula is just a force balance. If the contact line is stationary the forces at it must balance so taking the horizontal component of the forces gives you:

$$\sigma_{gas-liquid} cos \theta + \sigma_{liquid-solid} = \sigma_{gas-solid}$$

And hence the formula you quote.

If you replace the gas with a liquid the force balance calculation is just the same, so the formula remains valid.

share|cite|improve this answer
Thank you. I wonder which is the best reference for results like this? I found the above formula in… . Are there any better references? – Beni Bogosel Mar 24 '12 at 10:27
Any Physical Chemistry graduate textbook should cover this material. In the UK the usual choices (at least when I was a student) are Atkins' Physical Chemistry and Moore's Physical Chemistry. I haven't read the book you mention, but it looks a bit advanced if you just want basic information. – John Rennie Mar 24 '12 at 10:33

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.