Physics Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for active researchers, academics and students of physics. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

My problem is when I take a picture (a close one) the straight edge looks a little curved. In a standard camera, like a CyberShot.

I would like to know if there is some relationship between the curvature of the glass and that effect or if you know more information about that.

share|cite|improve this question
Talking about this? – Manishearth Feb 25 '12 at 1:29

Yes the image distortions can be mapped and corrected for.
You could do this analytically just from the lens design and the scene - but you would need a detailed optical design for the lens.

The easier way is to take a picture of a calibration target (typically a chess board or array of dots) and then map the distortions in software and apply the same corrections to your image.

See opencv for examples

share|cite|improve this answer

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.