Physics Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for active researchers, academics and students of physics. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

Please move this if it's not in the right location.

I'm looking for the name of a device that I frequently see in many scenarios, specifically that of an office/library which can be described as having multiple rings that rotate in various directions. I was thinking it was a gyroscope or perhaps a celestial globe, but something tells me that it's not quite what I'm looking for. I recall that there is a movie production company which uses this device as their symbolic figure of their logo.

share|cite|improve this question

closed as off topic by Qmechanic, Manishearth, Waffle's Crazy Peanut, Emilio Pisanty, Sklivvz Dec 27 '12 at 16:01

Questions on Physics Stack Exchange are expected to relate to physics within the scope defined by the community. Consider editing the question or leaving comments for improvement if you believe the question can be reworded to fit within the scope. Read more about reopening questions here.If this question can be reworded to fit the rules in the help center, please edit the question.

up vote 5 down vote accepted

The device you are describing is a Cardan suspension.

share|cite|improve this answer
Wow, I didn't know that they had a different name! Been calling them gyroscopes my whole life! – Manishearth Feb 16 '12 at 2:21

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.