Physics Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for active researchers, academics and students of physics. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

By way of context, please picture those little motion capture lights that are put over an actors body. I am interested in finding out if there is some kind of material that can do the same thing but only reflect infrared or, maybe UV, light.

share|cite|improve this question
Glass with IR-reflective coating (such as indium tin oxide (ITO)) is easy to find. You could potentially cut out little pieces of that. – Steve B Jan 30 '12 at 20:30

For UV, have a look at this site:

Similar products seem to exist for IR - look for solar roof coating.

If you want real suggestions you probably need to define your needs a bit more - although this is pretty off-topic already.

share|cite|improve this answer
Thanks, but this is closer to what I am looking So I guess that answers the question. If you would like to drop this link in the body of your answer, I would be happy to select it as correct. – Matthew Patrick Cashatt Jan 29 '12 at 18:58

A lot of ordinary black materials reflect or are transparent in infrared light, especially plastics..

It's a real pain building infrared instruments to find something that's actually black in some bands.

share|cite|improve this answer

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.