Physics Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for active researchers, academics and students of physics. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

I would like to perform an experiment to measure the conductivity of a copper rod. What device can I use to perform to experiment? is there such a thing as a conductivity meter? All i found was an apparatus to measure the conductivity of solutions. Please note that I need get as accurate as possible results.

share|cite|improve this question
Well, you could always measure the length and the resistance with a ruler and ohmmeter, and just calculate $\sigma=1/(\rho * l $) – Mark Beadles Jan 29 '12 at 16:13
up vote 4 down vote accepted

conductivity is the inverse of resistivity which is resistance times cross-section area divided by length. So measure the resistance using a micro-ohmmeter and measure the length and area using rulers and calipers.

share|cite|improve this answer

Experimental use: often you don't have micro-ohmmeter (only AM and VM), or conditions does'nt fit. Good way is to use bridge to create current small enough for AM, or potential big enough for VM. Easily possible even remove AM and VM and use traditional galvanometer.

share|cite|improve this answer

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.