Physics Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for active researchers, academics and students of physics. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

Not really a physics junkie, and I think this is a chemistry question, but since there's no (yet) I think here is the best place.

I was just reading up on nanotech and came across the phrase "can construct 0D fullerenes, 1D graphenes...". Flags went up at "0D fullerenes" and I can't find further information about it in many places.

A fullerene is apparently any pure-carbon atomic structure, in various forms, but the zero-dimensional part is throwing me. What is a 0D fullerene?

share|cite|improve this question
up vote 3 down vote accepted

A fullerene is a spherical structure (buckyball). They just mean that it does not have any dimensions in which it displays translational symmetry, in contrast to a sheet, lattice or tube.

share|cite|improve this answer
Ahh, good answer! I was trying to rephrase to make sure I understood, but my rephrasing led me to the same words as your answer. +1 Cheers. – Ben Jan 24 '12 at 5:07

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.