Take the 2-minute tour ×
Physics Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for active researchers, academics and students of physics. It's 100% free, no registration required.

This measurement comes up a lot in my E&M class, in regards to inductance and inductors.

Is there really no conventional term for this?

If not, is there some historical reason for this omission?

share|improve this question

1 Answer 1

up vote 4 down vote accepted

Nope, not as far as I know. It's just "rate of change of current" or something like that.

I suppose it's possible someone has given it a name in some paper or textbook, but if so, it's not widely used.

share|improve this answer
And once you're on friendly terms, "I dot". –  coneslayer Jan 6 '11 at 15:21

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.