Take the 2-minute tour ×
Physics Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for active researchers, academics and students of physics. It's 100% free, no registration required.

For astronomy, as originally invented, the Hanbury Brown Twiss interferometer is good for finding the angular diameter of stars and is not a rapidly fluctuating observable like the amplitude in ordinary interferometry. The same concept in particle physics is not so straightforward. When I measure the 2 particle correlation, what do I get? What does it mean?

share|improve this question
I know its use in astronomy fairly well. The application to particle physics relies on the bunching effect of bosons. 'The Intensity Interferometer by Hanbury Brown has a chapter on coincidence counting of photons. This is closely related to bunching of particles. –  Nic Jan 13 at 13:00

1 Answer 1

You can get information about size, shape and rotation of the emitting object.
I would start here: http://cds.cern.ch/record/378753/files/9902020.pdf

share|improve this answer

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.