Physics Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for active researchers, academics and students of physics. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

In the electromagnetic spectrum, the differences between all waveforms are the "frequency" & energy of the waveform. We are able to modify both of these parameters. So, is it possible to change a waveform from one to another? If so, how? In particular, is it possible to change a radio transmitter to a microwave emitter?

share|cite|improve this question
I think you could use a klystron: to emmit in the radio-microwave range. – jinawee Jun 7 '14 at 9:41

Well, theorotically it seems possible, because we know that E=hv. So if we want to increase or decrease the frequency, there has to be a propotional increase or decrease in the energy of the EMR.

share|cite|improve this answer

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.